The temple of Aphaia, or Aphaiia, stands on a pine covered hill around 4km from the bay at Aghia Marina. The 5th century BC Doric temple is well preserved with some 24 limestone columns still standing, making it the main visitor attraction on the island.
It was dedicated to Aphaia - a hunting nymph daughter of Zeus and very much a local divinity - and first excavated in 1811 and again in 1901 when it was stripped of its most important artifacts which now grace the rooms of German museums. Some of the less important finds can be found in the museum in Aegina.
Archaeological work was resumed in 1966 and has continued on and off for 20 odd years. The temple is approached by a ramp from the east near former sacrificial altars. South of the temple are traces of an entrance gate and the priest's lodgings.
A regular bus service goes past the temple from both Aegina Town and Aghia Marina. You have to pay to go in. It's been repeatedly struck by lightning so now there's a thundering great metal rod at one end. The views from here are staggering, at least where pine trees don't stand in the way.