Argostoli is the capital and cultural centre of Kefalonia and lies on the west coast of the island close to the island airport.
Argostoli has a deep natural harbour in a spectacular setting, surrounded by pine covered hills and with views across the huge bay the Pali peninsula.
The town once boasted hundreds of handsome Venetian buildings but most were demolished in the 1953 earthquake and the modern cement replacements do not inspire.
Argostoli has a very large flagged main square ringed with tavernas and hotels; the place for festivals, parades and outdoor performances.
Nearby is the recently renovated green oasis of Napier's gardens, named after a former British governor, and the traffic-free Lithostroto shopping street with a wide range of shops and cafes.
The Archaeological Museum has artifacts from the Trojan Wars, and the Folklore Museum has some excellent exhibits of life on Argostoli before the earthquake.
Alongthe harbour is a long promenade fringed with palm trees with a vegetable market at one end encircled by small cafes.
The Drapano Bridge is a 900 metre stone causeway built across the Koutavos lagoon by the British in 1813, remodelled in 1842.
There is a small shingle beach near the Argostoli marina on the Fanari road to Lassi where small coves line the shore on an attractive coastal walk.