Assos has a spectacular setting in a horseshoe bay overlooked by a hilltop Venetian fortress and now been listed as a World Heritage Site.
It is located about 37 kilometres from Argostoli and approached from the main road to Fiscardo on a steep descent with several hairpin bends.
There are only about 100 permanent inhabitants but the numbers swell considerably in the summer season and this is a popular destination for day trip buses and boats.
Most building survived the 1953 earthquake and modern additions try to blend in with the surroundings. There are five tavernas and a mini-market in the cobbled narrow streets.
The rocky promontory curves into a shallow ,sheltered harbour with waterfront tavernas and a narrow strip of shingle and sand.
A quiet backwater, there is little to do in Assos other than unwind and there are no clubs or music bars.
The Assos fortress was built in 1584 on the rocky promontory overlooking the bay. A curved tunnel entrance takes visitors through the substantial walls. Little is left of the internal structure which once contained 200 homes and 65 other buildings. There are the ruins of a small church built in 1604.
It is a long walk to the top as cars are no longer allowed. The church of the Virgin Mary in Plakoula is about half way up.
There is bus to Argostoli once a week, car and boat hire is available and there is a taxi rank in the small village square.