Panagia, pronounced Pana-hia, is a mountain village in the eastern half of the island of Thassos about 10 kilometres from the port at Limenas.
IIt sits on the round-island road and is much the busiest of any of the island's mountain villages. The centre has several tavernas and a notable fountain.
Panagia wasn't always such an out-of-the-way village. In 1840 it was the island capital, and even minted its own coins.
The name derives from the church's patron saint Panagias and the village has celebrations in his honour every August 15.
Panagi is fed by mountain streams and the surrounding hills are lush and green. In the central taverna under the huge plane tree, water for the table is taken directly from a fountain fed by mountain springs.
Narrow side streets radiate from Panagia village centre. One of the side streets is now traffic free and lined with small white houses with slate roofs.
The houses climb some way up the steep hill and lead eventually to mountain tracks that encircle Panagia or lead off south to the neighbouring village of Potamia.
Panagia is noted for its syrup sweets, its walnuts, figs and for its small juicy tomatoes. Hotels and rooms for rent are available and Golden Beach is about 3 kilometres away down the hill.
Panagia has about 900 permanent inhabitants and there are several buses each day to Limenas and to the south.